Breast Augmentation / Lift
Breast augmentation, or enlargement, is a cosmetic procedure in which the breasts are enlarged. A breast lift, also referred to as a mastopexy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure to correct the proportions of saggy bust lines.The purpose of both breast augmentation and breast lift is to improve the physical and aesthetics of breasts. Dr. Pascual is a leading authority performing breast enlargements and lifts in the Miami area restoring women's self-confidence and improving overall mental and physical health.
Is a Breast Lift the Right Choice for Me?
Breast enlargements and lift are recommended for women unhappy with the appearance of her breasts. The procedures reconstruct the size, elevation and contour of saggy breasts. Breast lifts are also effective in reducing the size of the areola. Many women experience saggy breasts, decreased breast volume, and stretched skin due to breastfeeding, pregnancy, and the natural process of aging.
To be considered a good candidate you should:
• Be in overall good physical and mental health
• Consider your breasts too small and want to enhance the size
• Want your breasts to be more equally proportioned
• Desire to restore the shape and size of your breasts after pregnancy or losing a significant amount of weight
• Maintain realistic expectations.
Factors that you should consider before opting for either procedure:
• If you're planning to lose a significant amount of weight.
• Pregnant women or those still nursing.
• Women planning future pregnancies should also discuss the potential issues with hersurgeon prior to scheduling either procedure.
How is the Procedures Performed?
While a breast lift may be performed simultaneously with a breast enlargement, there are differences between the procedures.
• Breast enlargement: A soft silicone implant filled with either silicone gel or saltwater solution is inserted under the chest muscle or beast tissue. Surgeons make an incision along the breast's bottom crease, the lower edge of the areola or armpit. The implant is then inserted through the incision and once in the desired position, closed with stitches. Often surgeons place the implant under the chest muscle as the positioning decreases the chances of interference with mammography results.
• Breast Lifts –The procedure involves lifting drooping breasts and raising the nipple and areola by removing excess skin from the bottom of breasts as well as the areola. The skin remaining is gathered together resulting in tighter and higher breasts. The procedure leaves larger incisions than breast enlargement procedures.
Is Breast Augmentation and Breast Lifts Safe?
Breast enlargement and lifts are overall considered relatively safe; however, there are associated risks for any a cosmetic procedure requiring anesthesia including:
• Heart problems
• Adverse reactions to general anesthesia such as breathing problems, pneumonia.
In addition to the potential complications from the surgery other possible risks from the procedures may include:
• Capsular contracture –hardening of scar tissue surrounding implants causing pressure on the implant resulting in hardening breast tissue, skin rippling, changes in shape and pain.
• Permanent or temporary loss of sensation in the nipple due to nerve damage.
• Changes in the implant, leakage, deflation, or rupture.
• Inference in detecting breast cancer.
• Unevenposition ofbreasts or nipples.
• Problems breastfeeding.
What is the Recovery Time?
Recovery time varies on individual patients and procedures performed. Generally, procedures take between one to two hours. Stitches are removed in about a week. Swelling and bruising can be expected for several weeks. Normal activities may be resumed within several days, although strenuous lifting or exercises are often limited for a couple of months.